I had all these thoughts in my head, and I wanted to write them and then I didn’t. Because sometimes thoughts are better left in your head, and that’s ok.
I did write a short story for TAFE about a ghost though, so I’m chalking that up to a win on the writing front. 🙂
There was one thought that had been going through my mind though, that did deserve a mention. I’ve been really blessed lately, and I don’t love using that word because it just sounds all clichéd, but I have been. I’ve been extended some beautiful kindnesses from all sorts of people in all sorts of ways, and I just want to acknowledge that.
I’m not naming names, but those who recently have sent me gifts, helped with the kids, given me encouragement, or even just liked a comment on Facebook, thank you so much. I am so very appreciative.
It got me thinking about how when there’s an absence of kindness in the world, or things are just hard for whatever reason, some small act can make the world of difference. People have done that for me, and I would like to do more of it myself. Go above and beyond the kindnesses I already show, and do some things a bit bigger.
So I wrote myself a list of all the ways I could think to show kindness – some of them based entirely on the ones shown to me- and I thought I’d share it. Because this sort of thing is always good to remember.
image credit- http://nourishingstorm.com/kindness-sprinkle-it-everywhere/Smile. At everyone you see.
- Take a friend out for coffee.
- Pay for the coffee of a stranger.
- Make a meal.
- Invite someone over for a meal.
- Send a gift.
- Send a letter/card/tweet/email/text saying something lovely and encouraging.
- Hug someone. Unless they aren’t a hugger- but sometimes even then. 🙂
- Offer to baby sit.
- Plan a night out with friends. (Sometimes people need this more than you know.)
- Help with school/sport drop off or pick up.
- Send a bottle of wine.
- Give a voucher for a couples night out.
- Compliment someone. On whatever.
- Smile more. Just do it.
- Send flowers.
- Share homegrown produce.
- Bake a cake.
- Call your mother (Must do that one.)
- Like a Facebook post.
- Comment on a blog.
- Support local business.
- Make a mix tape. Renee did one the other day, and they are severely underrated. Link- http://mummywifeme.com/get-your-happy-on-mix-tape/
- Stop what you’re doing, when the kids want to play. Just play.
- Say kind things. All the time. Look for the good. Try not to criticise.
- Encourage someone in the thing they love. Be a cheerleader.
- Offer your professional services to someone who needs them.
- Clean up after yourself in public places.
- Do someone’s dishes. Or other job that is boring and mundane but needs doing.
- Smile. Again. Because I really think it can’t be overdone.
So there you have it. 30 ways I thought of to try to spread a little more kindness. Some I can do today, some will take a little more thought, or money, but I’ll get there eventually.
What would you add?